Our stew has tons of flavor thanks to the herbs, red wine and balsamic vinegar. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen,
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups coarsely chopped onions (about 2 large)
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- Additional fresh rosemary, optional
image/svg+xml Text Ingredients View Recipe,
In a small bowl, toss beef and 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a large bowl, combine 4 tablespoons flour and paprika. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and toss to coat.
In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium heat. Stir in tomato paste, herbes de Provence and garlic; cook until fragrant and color starts to darken slightly. Add wine; cook until mixture just comes to a boil. Simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, 1 teaspoon rosemary and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is almost tender, about 1-1/2 hours.
Add potatoes, onions and carrots. Cover; simmer until meat and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes longer.
Discard bay leaves. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 2 tablespoon flour. Add cold water and vinegar; stir until smooth. Stir into stew. Bring to a boil; add peas. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. If desired, top with additional fresh rosemary.
1-1/2 cups: 366 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 605mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.