After craving tomato soup, I decided to make my own. My sister Joan likes it chunky-style, so she doesn’t puree. Serve it with a grilled cheese sandwich. —Marian Brown, Mississauga, Ontario,
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Minced fresh basil, optional
image/svg+xml Text Ingredients View Recipe,
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add water if necessary.
1-1/4 cups: 76 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 627mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.