Pomegranates make dessert festive and bright with a burst of juicy sweetness. These pomegranate bars are no exception. —Lisa Keys, Kennett Square, Pennsylvania,
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 cups (12 ounces ) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
image/svg+xml Text Ingredients View Recipe,
Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13×9-in. pan with parchment paper, letting ends extend up sides. Lightly grease parchment with cooking spray. In a food processor, combine flour, sugar and cocoa; pulse until combined. Add butter; pulse until mixture appears sandy. Add egg and vanilla; pulse just until combined. Press dough into prepared pan.
Sprinkle dough with sesame seeds. Bake until top appears dry and toothpick comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle evenly with coconut, almonds and chocolate chips. Pour condensed milk evenly over top; return to oven. Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds; press gently into warm topping with back of a spoon. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Lifting with parchment, remove from pan. Cut into bars.
1 bar: 176 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 55mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.